Open Question: Is AsBr3 a polar molecule?

11:23 Publicado por Nadim

Home >All Categories > Science & Mathematics >Chemistry >Open QuestionJesse Blakeney Jesse Blakeney Member since:September 04, 2010Total points:98 (Level 1)On my chemistry test I had to determine if AsBr3 was polar.
I used the formula to discover that the bond had an overall electronegativity of 0.83, making the bond polar.
My teacher taught me that just because the bond is polar, does not mean the molecule is polar.
So I drew in the vector arrows, being told that if they all pointed to As, it would be polar because they're all going to one place, and if the 3 arrows went to the 3 Br's, it would be non-polar because they are all going in different directions.
Since Br had a higher electronegativity, the negative end of all the arrows ended up on the 3 Br's, making the molecule non-polar. But it is marked wrong.
Can somebody please varify, I feel as though my teacher is contradicting what she taught me.Answer Question

Be the first to answer this question.


View the original article here

  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Technorati
  • Facebook
  • TwitThis
  • MySpace
  • LinkedIn
  • Live
  • Google
  • Reddit
  • Sphinn
  • Propeller
  • Slashdot
  • Netvibes

0 comentarios:

Publicar un comentario